LGV, HGV & PSV Maintenance, INSPECTION AND REPAIRS
We specialise in LGV, HGV and PSV vehicle inspections & repairs operating from our Dumbarton Depot covering the West Coast of Scotland. We have a modern 5 bay workshop with an additional DVSA (formerly VOSA) authorised testing lane offering the latest in diagnostic technology.
Our core activity is the service, repair and maintenance of commercial vehicle fleets, including DVSA required safety inspections and MOT preparation and presentation. We have contracts covering anything from a single light van through to 40+ vehicles mixed fleets covering multiple depots.
Always keen to help out where we can, we believe that McColl's can handle your vehicle maintenance needs with less down time, less hassle and less monthly expenditure for your business! As fleet operators ourselves, we understand the importance of preventative maintenance and to comply beyond the regulatory standards.
Safety Inspections (DVSA)
As part of your Operators License issued by DVSA, your LGV, HGV and PSV vehicles will be required to have regular safety inspections / PMI, at intervals according to it’s mileage and use.
We offer an extremely competitive comprehensive check on your vehicles safety systems as required by DVSA.
Included is a rolling road brake test, headlamp aim check, all fluid and lubricant levels checked and topped up if required, tyre tread depths recorded and pressures checked/adjusted and wheels torqued to manufacturers recommendations.
We will then issue a certificate notifying you of all items checked, any defects found and notes on what has been done to rectify those faults. Recorded with the date and the mileage.
When you have a full repair and maintenance agreement with us, then we can do all this for a highly competitive set fee which includes our travelling time. These start from (exclusive of VAT):
2 axle £80
3 axle £120
4 axle £175
Items checked are:
Ground Level Items
- Road wheels and hubs, hub cap, bolts, nuts and studs.
- Tyres, size, ply, rating and type, condition, tread wear, cuts and wall contact on twins.
- Side-guards, rear under-run guards and bumper bars.
- Spare wheel carrier, security. (if fitted)
- Trailer drawing eye or hook, fifth wheel or auto coupling.
- Condition of wings, spray suppression equipment.
- Cab security. (Mountings)
- Cab doors.
- Cab floor and steps.
- Body, square on chassis, security of fixing to chassis, twist locks, crane support legs.
- Body, soundness, doors, hinges, drop sides, tail boards, tipping gear.
- Mirrors, number and condition.
- Rear and side markings and reflectors, position and condition.
- Obligatory side lamps, end outline lamps, colour and functioning.
- Rear lamps, rear fog lamps, position and functioning.
- Rear and side reflectors, position and condition.
- Direction indicators and hazard lamps, colour and functioning.
- Headlamps, alignment, position and function.
- Condition of chassis, deformation, cracks, corrosion, bolts, rivets.
- Fuel tanks and pipes, mountings, security, leaks, filler cap.
- Electrical wiring, condition, security, position, battery security, leaks.
- Mechanical brake connections, wear, chafing, corrosion, back plate security.
- Brake wheel units, security, leaks, corrosion of linings/pads.
- Brake pipes, reservoirs, valves, connections, security leaks, adjustment of servos, tractor hose couplings, load sensing valve.
- Springs, pins and bushes.
- Suspension units, leaf and coil springs, air suspension, radius arms, torsion bars, bonded suspension units.
- Atachment of suspension units.
- Shock absorbers, security, leaks.
- Axles, stub axles and wheel bearing, wear, fractures.
- Steering linkage, wear, fracture, security, no fouling.
- Steering box, smoothness of operation, security, wear, road wheels don’t foul.
- Power steering-security, leaks, fractures-integral, effectiveness.
- Seat belts. (if fitted)
- Driving seat.
- View to front, condition of glass windscreen/windows, height indicator.
- Windscreen wiper, washers, pipes and blades.
- Speedometer/Tachograph visibility and illumination.
- Tachograph operation and seals for presence, condition and calibration date.
- Audible warning/horn.
- Driving controls.
- Steering wheel free play, steering column.
- Steering wheel, movement between steering column and wheel.
- Speed limiter plate/plaque seals and correct operation.
- Mechanical hand brake.
- Service brake peddle.
- Hand operated air/vacuum brake control. (inspection in cab)
- Transmission shafts, flanges, bolts, bearings, wear.
- Engine mountings, security, deterioration.
- Oil leaks from assemblies.
- Exhaust and silencer emissions check.
With Engine Running
- Emission of smoke
- Air/vacuum warning and build up.
- Service brake operation (inspection in cab) + ABS light.
MOT pmi & tests
Preparing vehicles over 3.5 tonnes for their annual MOT is a large part of what we do. Therefore we understand how important it is to get your LGV, HGV or PSV through first time, every time.
Typically we will book your vehicle into your chosen DVSA Certified test centre well in advance to ensure a slot is available. Before arranging a time with you to PMI (pre MOT inspection) and prepare it for the MOT a few days beforehand to ensure it is ready. This will typically consist of a service (if required) and thorough inspection together with checks on the headlights and brakes to ensure compliance. Often any potential problems will of been noted and fixed in advance of this date during your regular DVSA safety checks.
Once ready, one of our engineers will drive your vehicle to the DVSA test centre or meet your driver there to ensure any last minute problems or adjustments can be rectified on test. Once passed, we will return your vehicle with your new MOT certificate! If your vehicle requires an RPC (Reduced Pollution Certificate) or LEC (Low Emissions Certificate), then this can be booked alongside the test.
Even with the best preventative maintenance routines in place, Your LGV, HGV and PSV vehicles will still need occasional repairs carried out on them to keep them in a road worthy condition.
McColl's skilled workforce are on hand to diagnose and repair these faults before they result in a break down. With over many years of experience between them our mechanics can tackle any job big or small!